Thursday, July 17, 2008

5 Questions for the Creators: Mr. Sorg

Once again its time for 5 Questions for the Creators. This weeks installment is one that's very important to me. The subject of this weeks post is a very close friend, a partner in crime, a tag team partner and a new media powerhouse that i would consider a brother. He is the head of operations for The Wrestling Mayhem Show, Western Pa Juggalos, WPAJ Radio, Sorgatron08.com, sirpsychosexy.net, and many many others. He is a very active member of the Pittsburgh New Media community, he is a professional wrestler in the RWA and RWF, Performer in the rap group Crap and he is an all around wonderful person to know. I am proud to call him a friend. His name? Mike Sorg.

1. Tell us about who you are and what it is you do.
Well, my name is Michael Sorg. I guess you could call me an "all things tech" nut. In my day job, I do safety training videos in DVD, CD, and Web formats for the Steel and related industries. At night, I do anything to get out my creative nature. I have run the web community fan site WesternPAJuggalos.com(WPAJ) since its first iteration in 2001, which has garnered varying degrees of success, being a part of events that have spanned from 10 to 200 people. It developed its own small streaming radio server, then expanded to include the WPAJ Interview podcast, where I have had the pleasure to interview several big names, and personal favorite artists, in the Kottonmouth Kings, Daddy Long Legs of Wolfpac and Bloodhound Gang, Potluck, Jehred of (hed) pe, as well as several underground artists of varying walks of life, including Killa C, DaButtonPusha, and plenty more. My biggest interesting project is the Wrestling Mayhem Show. We have survived over 2 years and 100 episodes on a regular weekly basis. It's mainly a 2 hour-ish audio podcast where we just share our minds about wrestling, from small indies and backyards to WrestleMania. We pride ourselves on being no holds barred, and getting the fans involved, taking emails, voice-mails, and participating in a live chat and video feed during the show. Also, we spawned a rap group called "CRAP" with my friend Jeff, in which I try to support on the web with our website (www.monkeyflingspoo.com), as well as a series of videos chronicling the hijinx of our shows in CRAP TV, which has spread across 2 DVD releases and all over Youtube.

2. Why did you get into social media?
I suppose it found me. I was always interested in seeing what I could do with this internet thing. I've had a website since the late '90's in some form and was always trying to share something. Wether it be friends' bands, interesting pictures, personal opinion. I never really thought anyone was listening. Then WPAJ started getting a response and I was always looking for the next thing to expand it.

3. What is it that you love about social media?
I love being able to be in touch with so many people in so many walks of life. It's the greatest form of educating yourself by just seeing what other people are doing out there. I follow an NBC correspondent on Twitter, as well as so many personalities I loved to watch back in the TechTV days and musicians like Henry Rollins and one guy from Weezer. And this has been such a great experience in making new friends over the past 8 years that I would have never had the pleasure of meeting otherwise. If you put yourself out there with social media in some fashion, you become a magnet for things to happen, it seems.

4. What keeps you coming back? Why do you keep creating content?
I like creating content that I enjoy, I suppose. It's kind of an addiction for me to create, create, create. If no one was looking my direction on this stuff, I might not have been making as much as I am now in the way of content, but I would still be creating something.

5. What is it that you want to accomplish with your media?
The goal with any of this stuff is to derive a reaction. I like to get things out there and make some noise, bring some eyeballs my way. I suppose I'm still learning what to do with those looks my way, but it's the first step. But first and foremost, it's to have fun. This is just how I have fun and can bring people along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment